Author: Munashichi, 六七質
Alternative Names: Duke's Daughter Who is Liable to Die and the Seven Nobles, Erica Aurelia, Shini Yasui Koushaku Reijou to Shichi-nin no Kikoshi, 死にやすい公爵令嬢, 死にやすい公爵令嬢と七人の貴公子
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Shoujo
On one spring evening when I was eight years old, I, Erica, Duke of Aurelia’s daughter, realized something.
Huh, I have reincarnated into a fantasy world, haven’t I?
Moreover, it was the romance-fantasy girl game that had the reputation of being bloody, 『Liber Monstrorum ~Phantom Beasts and the Winter Princess~』
The face reflected in the mirror was that of the villainess character of that game.
After repeatedly harassing many characters, including the heroine, she would die without exception, signaling the beginning of an event called the bizarre incident. She was a villain who deserved to get the consequences!
—I absolutely don’t want a destiny like that, though?
No, for me who has remembered the memory of my previous life, there would be no such thing.
In my previous life, I was harassed immensely by an irrationally angry yandere man who proclaimed ‘She is absolutely in love with me.’
My cause of death, too, was from being stabbed by another yandere man who I only had talked with a few times……
Now that I have become the haughty villainess Erica, I shouldn’t encounter more misunderstandings like with the previous life’s yandere men anymore, right……?
In that case, it will be fine as long as I deal with the death flags that I may have raised myself.
All right! First of all, before the bizarre incident begins at the Magic Academy, I will strike down the death flags accordingly!!
—Or so I thought, but it seems that I am about to die.
Eeh, how did this happen—!?
- Chapter 0: Prologue
- Chapter 1: Spring Palace (part one)I don’t have a schedule for this series. Wait, actually I don’t really have a schedule for any series lol. But I want to release all 6 chapters of the Spring Palace. Just to keep people interested in this series, you know? Well, enjoy the chapter!
- Chapter 2: Spring Palace (part two)
- Chapter 3: Spring Palace (part three)
- Chapter 4: Spring Palace (part four)
- Chapter 5: Spring Palace (part five)
- Chapter 6: Spring Palace (part six)
- Chapter 7: Ruins of Visitor (part one)“Klaus-sama! Are you okay? You’re okay, right!?” I rushed towards Klaus in spite of myself. I could finally see the face of Klaus who until now I could only see the back of, I was relieved from the bottom of my heart. I guessed I was also relieved since I met a familiar face. Gradually, the harsh expression on Klaus’ face disappeared. “Aah, I have no problem. You are the one who is alone……You, what’s with that appearance?” Uh, he got right to the point. First of all, I thought about putting emphasis on practicality, and more than that I was in a hurry. Regarding my coordination, it was quite appropriate. “I borrowed the clothes of Edward-oniisama, thinking that you are in the ruins, because I couldn’t come to a place like this wearing a dress.” “Oh, that sort of thing……you, you suit this appearance better.” “Oh, it is a great honor to be praised by you.” Well, it was still impossible for me to wear a luxurious dress after all! I thought that Erica’s face suits it well enough. Was the femininity of my soul insufficient as expected? No, it was good enough that practical clothing suits me. Let’s feel good. “I’m glad I found you, this is the most dangerous place in Aurelia territory, you know?” “I’m aware of that, I just didn’t expect to waste my magical power to such extent by searching this ruins for such a short time.” Klaus had a hard face. It was a dark and scary place, so I certainly felt like I was getting frustrated— Had I had any difficulty in spending magic so far? “Klaus-sama, what do you mean by that?” “Erica, you, didn’t you notice it when you come to this place?” “Not at all.” “……You’re dense.” “It couldn’t be helped because Western human beings are different from Eastern human beings.” A dense place with a good sense, that was the virtue of the human beings from Aurelia territory. I might not have noticed it because my efforts and talent weren’t enough, though. “The magical effect that absorbs magical power is working on this ruins, even the activation of lower tier magic took a heavy burden since a little while ago.” “Is there such a trap put on somewhere? Can you find out something if you use Glam Sight?” “I already identified things that seem to be the starting point of the trap. But the spell to solve it doesn’t seem to be effective. I don’t know what kind of trap is this.” “Surely, metals and jewels that impede magic are physically embedded.” I heard that there were metals with such effects in Lucanrant. Depending on the combination of minerals that I didn’t know, the same effect might be invoked, it was not only limited to the northern metals. “It seems that wide area magic is blocked, and magic with effective range of 5 m or more in radius has failed.” “That said, I heard from Onii-sama that there is a trap that has been activated, but I don’t know the effect.” “Got it.” Although we from Aurelia didn’t mind the effect, people from Harvan seemed to be pretty incompatible with it. Ruins of Visitor were like the culmination of the lost techniques of Aurelia of the West. Unexpectedly, these missing technologies might be said to be ‘abandoned’ by choice because of problems, rather than being ‘lost’. Like a trap that obstructed the magical power that was not friendly to outsiders, for example. “Because of that……I’d like you to see this for a moment.” Klaus spread a parchment. There were large rectangular outline and the name of the god of wind was written in twelve directions so as to surround it. It was the most commonly used template in this world’s maps. But, except for the frame and several lines of Harvan’s magic language, it was almost blank, and things that seemed like maps were not drawn. “I tried to use Auto-mapping and put spell cards along the route. However, thanks to the troublesome trap, even if I casted the spell it wouldn’t react at all.” “Oh, so it is a spell for that.” “If I knew a little sooner that Auto-mapping would be invalidated, I wouldn’t search so deeply.” Klaus shrugged his shoulders. When the talk finished, I asked what I was really concerned about. “Well, Klaus-sama. Where is Ann-sama?” “Wha—! Why are you talking about Ann now?” Klaus’ body jumped in alarm. Huh, this guy, didn’t he feel like a small animal? “In order to follow Klaus-sama, I was using Urd Sight. Then I could see Ann-sama as well as Klaus-sama……” “I have not brought my sister here.” “It seemed that she was pursuing Klaus-sama.” “But, I’m certain that I had put my sister to sleep with a sleeping magic……, no way, that girl, did she use a reinforced Magic Resist in anticipation of me getting out?” In his own way, he devised a plan to make sure his sister didn’t come to this dangerous place. I thought that he was cold to Ann, but he was a good older brother. However, it seemed that his sister was one step ahead of him. The young Ann was also an excellent mage like Klaus. So, as a result of her insight and effort, she successfully Resist her brother’s magic. This, Klaus’ secret was backfiring, wasn’t it? The more he said that she couldn’t come, the more he hid it, the more she would be worried about it. They were a curious pair of brother and sister. “I didn’t see my sister on the way so far, it seems that she followed another road somewhere.” In the middle of devoting myself pursuing Klaus’ back, I neglected to confirm Ann’s whereabouts. It was also because I was reluctant in using the expensive Wand of Urd Sight. Perhaps it should have been used more finely. “Would you like to trace our way back again, Klaus-sama? Let’s go find your younger sister on our way back.” “……That’s right. Apparently, I’m not prepared enough to get around these ruins.” Klaus glanced at my appearance and said that. His gaze moved steadily to my alchemist’s leather gloves, to my leather bag that was overflowing with wands, and to my boots that seemed to be durable on the floor. “If I’m not cautious like you, it is likely to lose my way in the ruins.” I was feeling a bit relieved at being obediently heard. I couldn’t beat him if he said, ‘I will definitely not turn back!’ “If you decide so, let’s search for Ann-sama immediately.” “Ah.” “If we couldn’t find a way to find Ann-sama, we’ll go back to Spring Palace at once.” “Ah, this maze is too much for children to navigate alone.” “Speaking of maze, please dispel the Phantasmal Maze in Spring Palace.” I had to ask him not to forget about it. It was no wonder if many maids were distressed during this time. “Mmm, you noticed it, didn’t you?” “If I didn’t notice, I wouldn’t bother to pick you up like this.” “I thought that you are much more enthusiastic in searching this ruins, so that is not really the case?” “It’s not!” It would be troublesome if it was misunderstood. I had not come to explore like Klaus. I came to stop Klaus from exploring. I didn’t even know if my father or Duke of Harvan would get angry at me, alright? “While tracing our way back, let’s use Urd Sight at each branch. So we can see where Ann got deviated.” “Is that a Wand of Urd Sight? Will you also let me use it? I have been using Glam Sight until you joined, it seems that it will take time to recover my magical power because of that.” “I see. It might be more efficient for both of us to use Urd Sight rather than just me.” Eastern magic cut not only mental power but also physical strength. No matter how much a genius Klaus was, he was still a 10-years-old boy. The Ruins of Visitor had an intense magical power obstruction, and he had been using Glam Sight since the start. Or rather, I admired that his magical power had been kept well until now. Then, I was concerned about the amount of magic that was charged into the Wand of Urd Sight. I had already consumed about 60 charges before finding Klaus. The leftover was about 40 charges. The Wand of Urd Sight was a wand created from ash tree1. The top of the wand was a yellow tourmaline, while the handle part was given a pattern that was weaved in gold. It was the core material that was distinctive. Silk weave of 10 meters in length stitched with gold and silver threads. It was compressed into several millimeters by space magic, it was lightweight and used as a core. Then, it was necessary to replace the core material when recharging the magic inside a wand. What was my point? In other words, this magic was incredibly expensive. (Edward-oniisama, I’m sorry……!!) While apologizing in my mind, I opened my bag for the second Wand of Urd Sight. I wondered how many wands would I use overnight. I was afraid of thinking about that for a moment.
- Chapter 8: Ruins of Visitor (part two)I handed over a Wand of Urd Sight and one of alchemist’s leather gloves to alleviate the reaction of the wands to Klaus.
- Chapter 9 - Ruins of Visitor (part three)
- Chapter 10: Ruins of Visitor (part four)
- Chapter 11: Ruins of Visitor (part five) It was my first time to experience Pass Wall. So, my body penetrated the wall, and the feeling of passing through the wall was an unknown and incomprehensible sensation— No, wait……There was something similar to this sensation, what was it? The memory of my previous life revived in my mind. At a very common tavern and a bento shop, I experienced a sensation similar to this magic. (—Oh, it is a short curtain1.) Should it be said that it was a sensation of going through a lot of whole-sized curtains in a passage of about three meters. There was an approximate experience where I didn’t expect it. (What exactly is fantasy…Ah, but this is surprisingly fun.) The effect time of Levitation was sufficient. The sign for the end of the effect was that the diameter of the magic circle around our foot had become about half the size. Before the magic circle stopped supporting our body, I swung the wand again. “Perhaps, isn’t it better for us to exit the Ruins of Visitor by passing through the walls, so that we wouldn’t use too many wands?” “It’s risky.” “Why?” “Outside of the Ruins of Visitor are considerably thick rocks. If we made a mistake in estimating the depth and couldn’t pass through the rocks during the effect time…” “We would be squeezed inside the rocks. That’s wretched.” “It is. Moreover, even if we successfully passed through the rocks, the outside of the Ruins of Visitor is mostly the sea. If our escape angle is wrong…” “We would drown. That’s wretched.” “It is. I don’t want to increase any more bizarre cause of deaths.” “More what?” “Oops! About this. Please don’t mind it.” “Erica, you……” I looked away in a hurry. I was about to carelessly mouth off the collection of bizarre deaths of Erica, the villainous lady. He wouldn’t understand my previous life knowledge in every sense. It should rather be left unsaid that there was a story in the game about what happens when you failed at teleporting2. Somehow, from Klaus, I felt like I was being seen with eyes like watching a painful child. ……Harsh. With such a situation, we had explored each layer at ultra-high speed even when there were trivial and personal failures. While we were exploring using the Pass Wall, Ann finally began to appear in Urd Sight. They were nothing more than images of a time that had passed. Even if we tried to follow her past footprints, we would be obstructed by the wall immediately because of the labyrinth which had already changed. However, it seemed that some of Klaus’ worry eased a little. Thanks to the confirmation of Ann’s moving figure. I wanted to meet the real Ann quickly. When I thought about the sad future where those siblings would be separated by death, my heart felt painful. “Wait, Erica. There is something.” We were about two layers down from where the simple base camp was. Klaus extended his hands to shield me and glared at the end of the passage. “Eh……” “Sounds of something being dragged on the floor shake the air slightly. I wonder if it was a monster or a beast that broke away from your older brother.” Eh, a monster? Wait a moment, I had been preparing for a battle, but my heart wasn’t ready yet for the actual battle. If I listened carefully, I could hear faint fricative sounds were steadily getting closer. Should we run away? “Don’t make a sudden move. Stay behind me.” “Oh, yes.” Klaus kept me behind his back and held his staff at the height of his waist. What should I do, I had to help him. What wand should I use? Offensive wands were on the right side of the belt……Aah, I didn’t take out the Wand of Hold! “Don’t push yourself. Be ready to escape at any time.” “Eh, but–” “It is a man’s job to protect a woman. Your job is to calm down by taking a deep breath. On the battlefield, a friend who is panicking is scarier than the enemy.” “Fuh…haah…Klaus-sama is calm, aren’t you?” “I’m undergoing combat training and I’ve accompanied my father in hunting and deadly extermination.” So the duke and his son went directly to get rid of evil spirits, huh. In the ancient royal family era, there was a story that said Harvan of the East was also the highest priest of the indigenous Sun God. We saw a shadow of something wriggling in the passage corner. Klaus quickly got two spell cards from his bosom with his left hand and threw them toward the shadow and casted a few words of spell quickly. The thrown spell cards flew while expanding a magic circle, bursting open mid-air and emitted bright white lights. Light hit the upper right corner and the lower left corner of the passage – and diagonally shone the true form of the shadow. “—A flock of moving bones!? And moreover, this number is…” Various types of beasts bones were grouping together while being suspended mid-air. How many? Several tens of heads? Lots of bone chunks that couldn’t be counted were filling up the passage and drew near in a surge. That was the identity of what was illuminated by the magic of Light. “They have enough Magic Resist to trick my Glam Sight……No, they are monsters with magical structures that I don’t recognize……, no, what are those!?” “Klaus-sama……” “Listen to me. When I give you a sign, run away and don’t look back. If you keep going straight using Levitation and Pass Wall, there should be a valid exit.” Tension ran on the face of Klaus. After glancing towards me, he pulled out a bundle of hundreds of spell cards from his sleeve at once. No matter how much battle experience he had, no matter how much of a future genius mage he was, if those bones were undeads it would be inevitable—. In fact, if we encountered such a huge number of undeads, it was a crisis of death. —However, looking at those figures, on the contrary, I was relieved. “Klaus-sama, it’s alright.” “What!?” “That is the cleaning automaton that my older brother made, an acid hydrogel golem.” “—Ha!?” Those were not undeads. The large amount of bones was floating inside a golem made of translucent jelly-like substances. Unlike the regular golem, he was not humanoid but a cube. He spread his flexible body all the way into the passage and performed cleaning by swallowing up every garbage without exception. A few days before regaining memories of my previous life, I had seen prototypes of this in Onii-sama’s room. It was an appearance like an apple jelly that moved. I thought it was convenient, but I never thought that the real golem was so huge…… As expected, Onii-sama……it was on a different scale…… “The inside is strong acid, but the outside is made of gel. It’s said that it is a smart and safely designed golem that swallowed only carcasses and the expensive materials are protected with neutral ingredients.” “Why!! Why does your older brother put such a thing inside the labyrinth!?” “Because of the cleaning……Because there were so many monsters’ dead bodies, I think that the golem cleaned up bone remains to collect materials for alchemy.” “Eei! That’s so confusing!!” That was exactly right. But, that was something you should tell Onii-sama directly, not me. Oops, I remembered important things. “Ah, but, if we penetrated into him in this Pass Wall state, we would be killed instantly by the strong acid without being stopped by the outer shell.” “Kuh, Edward Aurelia……!!” “We may as well stop exploring for now.” Edward-oniisama himself was a nice, gentle person. But regarding alchemy he had no mercy and would never go easy on other people, without that dangerous flaw he was a perfect person. If we kept going without noticing, would the white bones of me and Klaus also float over there? Wait a minute, I just noticed it now but were my death flags all caused by Onii-sama? The star crystal necklace. A trap of death set in a storage box. And now the acid golem and Pass Wall scroll combo. “Is everything okay, Erica, your eyes seem dead……?” “Oh, I’m alright, Klaus-sama.” That was not good, I was about to get caught up in the darkness of my mind. I actually began to doubt whether the gentle Edward-oniisama was trying to kill me. Let’s put some more trust in other people, me. Well, let’s keep going and stop the golem. If it was an ordinary golem made of earth, stone or metal, it would be difficult unless I was the maker. However, if it was a slow-moving golem made from translucent gel, I could stop it. First of all, proceed to the front of the moving golem while trembling, observed his interior while holding a lamp. By using Glam Sight, I quickly discovered the core of the golem – a shard engraved with activated spells – among the countless bones. With this, I should be able to stop the movement of the golem. Huh? Near the shard, there was something floating— “Klaus-sama, there is something familiar floating in the body of the golem.” “What do you recognize?” “That, over there, doesn’t it look like Ann-sama’s hair pin?” Klaus stared at a certain point about one-meter high. What was floating there was a white material……It was probably an object made of porcelain or bone. The metal pin seemed to have melted, but the characteristic petal-like decoration remained intact. “……!!” “Klaus-sama. It’s alright. Ann-sama shouldn’t be using the scroll of Pass Wall.” Klaus tightly clasped the heart part of his clothes. He wore a painfully sad expression. “Ann-sama is not inside. Surely, the golem was just picking up what Ann-sama has dropped.” “Oh, yeah…I didn’t see anything that seems like human remains. I know that. I’m fine.” That said, he looked much paler than when we thought we were going to battle strong undeads. He didn’t seem to be alright. Although he was jumping to a wrong conclusion for certain, it was impossible not to be affected when it had something to do with the life and death of a blood relative. Klaus was also a 10-years-old child, although he was getting stronger. The stress that was received by his mind was immeasurable. I hoped this clue successfully leads us to Ann. “The acid may splash, let’s step back a little.” While retreating, I took a Wand of Mage Fingers from my leather bag. The Wand of Mage Fingers was made of yew. At the end of the wand was an opal, and the handle was golden with a pattern of spider’s nest and legs. The core material was the foot of a giant spider3. A little magic circle in the rainbow color surrounded the five fingers of my right hand like a ring after I shook the wand with my left hand. It was visible through the Glam Sight that the Mage Fingers made with magical power were formed inside the golem. I tried to open and close my right hand. —Alright, it moved. The Mage Fingers were opening and closing following the movement of my right hand. If I could reach the core, stopping the golem was a simple work. Moved the Mage Fingers and grabbed the shard. From the characters of emet engraved there, I scraped one character with Mage Fingers and changed it to met.4 Soon the golem broke its shape like a boiling hot water and melted into the ground. “I see, the death of an automaton.” Klaus said with a strange expression. Certainly, if you lived in the East, it might be hard to see the collapse of the golem. Rainbow colored magic circle on my right hand immediately gone. That was because of my emphasis on scraping the characters on the golem. Because of this delicacy, Mage Fingers could only be used for fine work. The hundreds of beasts bones that were swallowed by the golem, the core of the golem, and the hair ornament were falling. I washed away the acid that adhered, and picked up the core of the golem. I had to return this to Onii-sama. Klaus too, he picked up the hair ornament that seemed to be Ann’s. It was a pretty hair ornament that imitate the flowers of eastern country with elaborate workmanship. “I certainly remember this. The material also made of the horn of a unicorn that lived in the Harvan’s forest. I have no doubt that this is Ann’s.” “Then, Ann-sama passed by this point, wasn’t she?” However, as soon as we were ten meters beyond the turning point we met a dead end. Both of us swung the Wand of Urd Sight. I could see Ann Harvan’s back walking towards the end of the dead end. She noticed something and expressed a startle, then she started to run. Maybe because she was in a hurry, Ann didn’t notice that her hair ornament had fallen. I was certain that she saw the bones masses inside the golem. A sigh of relief from Klaus was heard nearby. “I have a feeling that we have neared Ann-sama, but the labyrinth is changing.” “It’s okay. Since we know the direction, we could use Pass Wall.” “Yes, Klaus-sama, let’s chase after her.” There was some margin in the effective time of the first Pass Wall scroll. If we could join with Ann quickly, the three of us could escape together with the second scroll. At least, we should catch up with her soon before the encounter with the sealed ancient evil spirit in the bottom layer! We used Levitation, kicked off the air quietly and ran to the direction of Ann.
- Chapter 12: Ruins of Visitor (part six)
- Chapter 13: Megalithic Altar (part one)
- Chapter 14: Megalithic Altar (part two)
- Chapter 15: Megalithic Altar (part three)
- Chapter 16: Megalithic Altar (part four)
- Chapter 17: To the Promised Land
- Chapter 18: Klaus Harvan’s Letter
- Chapter 19: Island of Messenger (part one)
- Chapter 20: Island of Messenger (part two)There were five leather bags in front of me and the Black Dragon Tirnanog. The size of each one was the trunk size for overseas travel. They were sturdy and durable bags that were reinforced with metal. Contents were clothing, shoes, with particular attention to necessities and lots of wands. “I thought about using goods that could make me win even if I rematched with you as a guide.” 『Is it about the extent that you can win against me without that boy?』 I remembered the last incident in the Ruins of Visitor. About the Harvan siblings, coping with the traps of the labyrinth, fighting against Zaratan. That time was a complete mess. Alchemists couldn’t deal with troubles after they already happened. It was in the theory of alchemist that we should be thoroughly prepared before striking. Even so, situations occurred unpredictably. If there was no Edward-oniisama’s Wunderkammer or the simple base camp, what would happen to us? My father, Duke of Aurelia, gave me equipment and magic as a caution for assassination and abduction when traveling for the Advent Festival. However, what I wanted was a convenient magic that could turn everything around and deal a death blow in the event of emergency. Of course, I didn’t want to get caught up in a predicament if I could. Although I didn’t want to get involved, it was always a nuisance if it jumped me from the other side even if I avoided it. It would be too late if something had already happened. Therefore, preparation as much as possible was necessary. “Thinking that way, after trying hard and packing all the wands I thought I would need, I can’t move the bags even if I push or pull them……and I thought that it was already heavy when it was empty.” 『There is nothing impossible. If you want to fight alone, there is no such thing as too many wands.』 “I wonder if you could hold the bags for me?” 『Leave it to me, my friend. Such things, for me they are as light as feathers.』 As soon as he said it, Tirnanog lifted the large bag with one hand. He was formerly a huge monster. Even if he was getting smaller, he was strong enough to do the impossible. It would be a great help if he carried my baggage. It would be alright if I only brought clothes, but since I got supplies for adventure, it would be impossible to ask the maids. 『Umu, umu. There is no problem with any number if it was only up to this level.』 Tirnanog stacked three leather-covered bags and lifted them lightly. “How many do you think you can carry? Are you alright? Is it impossible?” 『Hahahaha, are you mocking me?』 Hmm, the small Black Dragon Tirnanog who was sticking out his chest was very adorable. “That’s not what I mean, you have just revived in this world, so don’t push yourself.” 『Ha! Hilarious! Nothing is impossible, just up to this extent is not even enough for a warm up. My friend. I was supposed to be a big boat.』 Right now, Tirnanog was in his birth size, but when he grew he would become 5 kilometers long. If I took into consideration that he was a small island much less a big boat, there was no sense of stability. Before I knew it, Tirnanog was walking with five large travel bags on his head. He seemed to be healthy. 『Hahahahahahaha! Light, light!』 “It’s okay to carry them lightly, but be careful not to drop them, okay?” 『I know!』 The preparation was complete. Even so, the wands, books, and other items crammed in my bags were the things of Edward-oniisama. If possible I didn’t want to use them. No matter how much money I had to return to my older brother, if I used too much, it wouldn’t be enough. ☆ My father and I, and also the servants, were lining up in front of the Spring Palace’s transfer gate. The destination was a small city a distance away from the 〈Island of Messenger〉 which was the Kingdom of Ignitia. For national defense reasons, except for emergencies, the transfer gates to go directly to Kingdom of Ignitia were closed. Therefore, from this small city to the Island of Messenger, it would be a horse-drawn carriage journey for a while. This city which was visited as a relay point was crowded with people because of the Advent Festival. Angel statues with swords and eggs were set around the city, both of which were decorated with plenty of flowers. It seemed that the Advent of the Founder King of Ignitia had been done independently by Harvan and Lucanrant by fusing it with early summer festival. A slave warrior who was born in the northern region of Karkinos1 continent was found by an angel. The slave warrior drove away the vampires, who had dominated Ichthyes at that time, by the power to manipulate dragons given by the angel, and was enthroned as the Founder King of Ignitia. The Founder King of Ignitia was also called as the Invasion King of Ignitia by the outsiders. The boy was born on that continent but he became one of the heroes that everyone knew. The angel at that time became the protagonist in this Advent and their angel figure models were decorated with flowers. Since Ignitia had such origin, there were two areas which were publicly called as Ignitia. One was the Ignitia’s royal family which occupied the southern region of Ichthyes continent. The other was on the opposite side of the Ichthyes continent, across the Island of Messenger – the peninsula in the northwest of the southern continent, Karkinos, where the former Ignitia’s territory based. Generally speaking, Ignitia referred to the royal territory of Ignitia and Ignitia’s aristocracy around it. The Island of Messenger was also the royal territory of Ignitia. The carriage that carried the party from Aurelia gradually moved towards the coastlands. We turned around the highway along the cape, and when the tall buildings of the city were cut off, the scenery was unfolded at once. On one side, the cerulean blue sea was spread out. The high-transparency deep-sea ocean was shining brightly, illuminated by the strong light of the southern country’s sun. Unlike Aurelia’s cold sea breeze, hot and humid air stroked my hair. A pure white castle was built on such a beautiful sea. If I looked closely, it was both an island and a city. It was unified with stone buildings whose streets were whitish, and consistent designs were adopted for tall buildings like the royal castle, the cathedral, and the walls. It was in harmony with the whole island and the royal castle towering at the center of the city, so the island itself was a castle. And, around the castle, many black shadows with wings were flying around. Perhaps, those were dragons, not birds? 『Ooh……this is the Island of Messenger, huh. It is quite scenic.』 “Amazing. It looks like a castle is growing from the ocean.” It was a beautiful island as I was told. It was said that to be the best view of the royal family. A single street was drawn in the sea. From the distance, it looked like a thin bridge. But as we approached, it turned out to be surprisingly a wide and robust stone construct. I guessed it was about 10 meters in width. The surface of the bridge was slightly moist, and some barnacles and other things were growing everywhere. It seemed that this bridge would submerge about 20 centimeters when the sea was fully at high tide. Our horse-drawn carriage went forward to the bridge which was submerged in the sea a few hours ago. There were statues of huge dragons on the gate of the Island of Messenger. The dragon on the right side was made of marble and the dragon on the left side was made of bronze polished to golden color. They were the statues of the dragons of the Founder King of Ignitia, the White Dragon Urthona and the Golden Dragon Tharmas.2 From above the statue of Urthona, two dragons as big as horses flew off. On the back of those girls – the gender of those dragons were unknown, but I called them with female pronouns for convenience sake – were the Ignitia’s dragon knights in red military uniform. To the visitors from each country including Aurelia, the two dragon knights waved their hands. The dragon knights rose so high that their appearances disappeared with the sunlight and then fell steeply towards the surface of the sea. The two dragons shifted to level flight with the sea level, their hind legs came in contact with the water. When the two dragons were going to flew overhead again, their hind legs kicked the water and splashed water drops in the air. “Wow! Rainbow!” There was a slight rainbow on the trajectory where the two dragons flew in an arch shape. It was a unique welcome of Ignitia, the Country of the Dragon Knnights. People from various countries who visited for the Advent Festival cheered and waved to the dragon knights. 『Are those the dragons of the South? They are small.』 “Is that so? They seem to be about 20 meters in size.” 『Only to that degree? They have a long way to go.』 Maybe from the sense of a 5 kilometers creature, they were small. However, the dragons who flew freely in the sky were quite a sight. This was the first time I saw a common dragon in this world. The Black Dragon Zaratan was an artificial dragon created by ancient alchemists, so he was quite different from the orthodox dragons in this world. Such things like Ignitia’s dragons and their offsprings were imported creatures from the southern continent Karkinos. A body line like a dinosaur. Thin forepaws and hind legs that were supple and strong. There were no twisted horns like a ram, but they possessed diverse horns for each kind. They understood human language, but they couldn’t talk. In addition to that, the flight type had a large pair of wings resembling those of a bat. Among the monsters with limited magical power that couldn’t be classified as ordinary animals, those whose ecology had been elucidated to some extent and those that could be raised as livestock were called magical beasts. Such things like Ignitia’s dragons, griffins used as mounts by Kalkinos’ sky cavalries, and cockatrice used for the core material of Wand of Hold, were classified as magical beasts. Beyond the classification of magical beast, monsters that were stronger and harder to elucidate were called phantom beasts. They could understand and speak human speech. They could manipulate systematized magic rather than a single magic ability. Anyway, their abilities as individuals were excellent. There were only few sightings and encounters, and those were only from folklores and not the living ones. There were various theories about the boundary of magical beasts and phantom beasts, but in many cases, things that corresponded to one or more of these were eidolons. Although dragons understood human language, they couldn’t talk so they were classified as magical beasts. The unicorns which were said to inhabit the Harvan’s forest were treated as phantom beasts, because while their bones and horns were circulating, there were only few encounters with living individuals. Extraordinarily strong, classification impossible, and in addition had the ability to speak human language, Zaratan – Tirnanog was classified as a phantom beast. And, those magical beasts and phantom beasts together, we called them as monstrorum3. Ooh, finally it led to the official title. “Uwah~~……, spectacular!” When entering the gate of the Island of Messenger, the number of dragons dancing in the sky was further increased. With red, blue, green flags of various colors in hand, the dragon knights flew over the city. As the dragon knights with blue flags were doing looping-the-loop simultaneously, the dragon knights with red flags were turning in an inverted flight. When the dragon knights were spreading out, a large 20-meters-long dragon appeared and spewed a blaze of flames. People were clapping and cheering in response to the blazing flowers blooming in the air. Was it like an air show, as it was called in my previous world? While it was to make the eyes of the visitors who came for the advent of spring festival happy, it was also an event to display their military power. It was said that Ignitia had roughly a hundred dragon knights who had the ability to ride on flying dragons. Of course, not only the dragons but the city was also beautiful, I felt a unique exotic feeling. Walls and pillars made of white beautiful crystalline limestones that could be collected abundantly in the South. Ventilated buildings. Decorations for the Advent were adorned everywhere. Such things like red banners with Ignitia’s coat of arms painted on them, and then statues of angel decorated with flowers, and handmade angel dolls. People were wearing flower ornaments everywhere in an open and fun style of clothing. Somehow, it felt like Greece or Italy. Foods sold in such places like stalls and cities were also Mediterranean region-style delicious-looking foods. When our horse-drawn carriage was moving along the street leading to the castle, I saw variety of magical beasts. A lizard of a size similar to a cattle-size Triceratops was pulling a cart. People who were likely to have money had salamanders on their shoulders. While there were magical beasts originated from Ichthyes continent, there were also magical beasts originated from the continent of Karkinos. Ignitia was not limited to dragons, it was the home of monsters. The humans in this country, even the townspeople who were not dragon knights, could handle magical beasts. They seemed to be the owners of a gentle telepathic ability. While doing so, the horse-drawn carriage came through the gate of the royal castle. Here, my father and I would get off the carriage and face the people of Ignitia’s royal family. Our servants went to the separate residence of Duke of Aurelia for the duration of our stay in the capital that had been prepared ahead of time and prepared various of things. I felt sorry, but Tirnanog was waiting in the carriage while pretending to be a golem. Now, although I was beginning to feel like sightseeing, I had to put my energy back in. From now on, I would meet the problematic Prince Auguste. The goal this time was ‘Do not ridicule Prince Auguste.’ The thing to watch out for was the special event of the Advent Festival, the time of the tournament with a dragon. It was a fancy event that seemed to be the taste of the townspeople, a jousting match using dragons that flew in the sky. I had to be careful not to murmur things that were likely to be misunderstood when I was carelessly getting excited by the rarity of the 10-years-old Prince Auguste. I took out my hand mirror and made a final check of my appearance. Yosh, there should not be any discourtesy. I also fixed my trademark vertical roll smartly. “Erica, are you ready?” “Yes! Otou-sama. I’m ready anytime.” Sorry, audience. I should go and check the face of Prince Auguste when he was a 10-years-old that I couldn’t see in the original game.
- Chapter 21: Island of Messenger (part three)My father and I received a warm welcome from the King of the Union Kingdom, the King of Ignitia. The structure of the castle looked like an open sanctuary peculiar to the South. Passing through the waiting room for nobles of the countries that came to audience with the king for the Advent Festival, we were led to the slightly private space of the Ignitia’s royal family. “Oh, it’s been a while, Ernst. Welcome to Ignitia.” “I haven’t heard from you for a long time, Your Majesty.” “You’re too stiff. You haven’t changed. Erica-ojousan too, please feel relaxed and make yourself at home.” “Y-yes, His Majesty the King. You’re too gracious.” To the King of Ignitia who looked very relaxed, Otou-sama—Duke Ernst, Duke of Aurelia, faced him with a stiff greeting. The current King of Ignitia, Henry was in his fourties. He was an energetic type of king that was filled with self-confidence and energy with a smile on his face. Long pale golden hair and purplish eyes which were the distinctive features of the Southern people. The King’s sunburnt tan-skin told me that he was still active as a dragon knight. Whether because he laughed often, or because of the strength of the sun, his wrinkles were deep. The King was accompanied by a silver dragon about the size of a large dog at his feet. The nobilities and royalty of Ignitia seemed to have a small dragon they grew up together with like siblings instead of attendants. The Queen Consort had exceedingly pale blonde hair that was almost platinum and amethyst eyes as transparent as water. She was a beautiful, awe-inspiring person that almost looked like a doll. However, there was no doll-like atmosphere, she was full of vigour and dignity. Was she really in her late thirties? How amazing…… Her waist was so thin that I couldn’t believe she had borne three children. And she also had a blue dragon in her arms. While being as quiet as a figurine, I listened to the conversation between the frank King and my business-like father. Although they were not present, the King and Queen seemed to have 3-years-old twins – the Second Prince Jules and the First Princess Agnes. Also, the First Prince Auguste was not in this place. Even though the story of the twin prince and princess rose to the topic, the story of Auguste didn’t come out. I didn’t feel like touching the topic. It made me feel a little uneasy. At the very least, I wanted to confirm just his face at the present moment. “Dear, if we monopolize the lovely lady, we will buy antipathy from the people.” “Umu. You’re right. People uprising is scary. Then, Ernst, Erica-ojousan, please enjoy the festival slowly.” In one sentence that accompanied by Ignitia’s joking style, the audience ended. By the way, Ignitia was a country born from a slave uprising. Although I was a bit nervous, I felt relieved that the audience was over with a harmless and inoffensive impression. As we left the castle, I was given a free time from my father. Since it was the long-awaited visit to Ignitia, he said that I should enjoy the exotic atmosphere. By the way, Otou-sama had a meeting with the minister and other aristocrats about the Advent Festival. Let’s cheers for good work. (Yeah~~……, I can finally loosen up a little bit……!) I felt a bit regretful that I couldn’t meet Auguste. However, it couldn’t be helped. I decided to use my precious free time to extend my wings with all my might. ☆ In the cathedral near the royal castle, Ignitia’s guide-like booklets for children were sold, so I bought it as a test. The booklet was manuscripted by automatic grafting golems, and the content was a simple map of the Island of Messenger where the positions of religion-related historical sites were filled in along with a rough explanation about each site. The commentary was tailor-made for the picture book, and it was briefly summarized so that it was easy for children and foreigners to understand. The price was one gold coin and it was set for aristocrats and wealthy people. However, considering the technology and the price of this world, it was quite reasonable. Since what they sell was a sanctuary, it might be some kind of volunteer activity. I had prepared some preparations for Ignitia beforehand. However, there were many things that I didn’t know among the local legends written in the booklet. For example, there seemed to be some kind of a legend about the Island of Messenger. Once upon a time, the Island of Messenger was called as the Island of Dead People. The island was dominated by a terrible man-eating giant. The name of the humanoid giant was Cain. According to the legend, an angel of God beat Cain alone and freed the island, that was why it came to be called as the Island of Messenger. By the way, the name of the King of Cascadia who fought with the Founder King of Ignitia was also Cain. Cascadia became the Country of Vampires in the generation of King Cain, and he became known as the Lunatic King. Perhaps there was a mixed up between the story of the Founder King who killed the vampires and the Giant War that had lasted for a long time since then. ‘Island of Dead People’, it felt like it would be overflowing with zombies rather than vampires. Horrifying. But, that name ‘Cain’, I remembered seeing it in my previous life. It was a conversation in the bulletin board of the original game’s capture targets’ information. According to the character introduction on the homepage, there were seven people to capture in 『Liber Monstrorum』. The black haired, gloomy, and extremely sadist Duke’s son, Klaus who had dead eyes. Blonde haired, with smiling poker face and human distrust, the flirty type character at first glance, the First Prince Auguste. The red haired son of a former Earl with an impression of an outlaw, Harold. Black haired professor with eyeglasses, a super strict teacher, the young Earl Brad. My older brother, the blonde hair Duke’s son who was equipped with a monocle, Edward who had a dark smile. Elegant hidden noble with glasses and silver hair, the gentle and clumsy teacher, Elric. Blonde haired Duke’s son with an eyepatch, the wild-type mysterious person, Claude. It was supposed to be only these seven. At this point, I remembered the looks of all of the character images, the color of clothes, and their rough profiles. By the way, the current Edward-oniisama hadn’t use a monocle yet. It seemed that he would use it in six years. However, the people who had completed the strategy guide on the bulletin board of the website were excited with ‘Prince Cain of Merry Bad’ or ‘Cain-sama the Final Savage Yandere.’ Merry Bad was a Merry Bad Ending1. It was similar to the story that got the ending where the prince and the princess kissed on top of many dead bodies2. I wondered who that was. Or maybe it was a hidden character? Because it was impossible to be a giant, I believed he was a vampire. If possible, to the heroine of this world, I didn’t want you to do that kind of route selection. Now, to the real issue at hand: the tourism. My real intention was to look at this Island of Messenger once again from the opposite beach. However, since my father had told me that my range of action right now was only within the island, I would save it for when we returned home from this island. Even inside the island, I could enjoy the exotic atmosphere. In the city, wherever I went I could see people who brought monsters. On the contrary, there were only few simple golems such as those seen in Aurelia. I had disguised Tirnanog as an iron golem, but maybe it only made him more prominent. Perhaps because golem was unusual, people of Ignitia kept giving us a glancing look as they passed by. Outside of Aurelia, it was rare to see a fine golem like this. I spoke with Tirnanog with a low voice so that we wouldn’t be suspected by the people of Ignitia. “This is a bit similar to an adventure with all the fun and the festive atmosphere, Til.” 『Me too, everything I see ever since I got resurrected is all unusual and fun.』 My companion seemed to be enjoying this as well above all. According to the booklet and my preparations in advance, the Island of Messenger seemed to have a church-related building as the main tourist attraction. It was a chapel in the cathedral, with such things like an underground crypt and a monastery inside the tower. Because it was the home of this religion, as expected the full set would be completed if we went there. “First off, that’s right. Let’s go to the cathedral.” 『Umu!』 Anyway, let’s start from the biggest and most famous place. I took Tirnanog along as we decided to head to the cathedral.
- Chapter 22: Island of Messenger (part four)
- Chapter 23: Island of Messenger (part five) cloveeer Erica, Novel June 18, 2018 9 Minutes Hey guys~ I’m thinking now that I don’t have other series to work on, I’ll probably post this update every other day. So, one chapter every 2 days. Except for Saturdays and Sundays (my time: GMT+7). Now enjoy the chapter! TL: clover ED: clover
- Chapter 24: Island of Messenger (part six) cloveeer Erica, Novel June 20, 2018 8 Minutes Another update! What do you think actually happened to Auguste? Also, good job for those of you who caught the hint in the last chapter!
- Chapter 25: Island of Messenger (part seven)
- Chapter 26: Island of Messenger (part eight)
- Chapter 27: Island of Messenger (part nine) cloveeer Erica, Novel June 25, 2018 8 Minutes Aah, this chapter was so hard to translate. There are few sentences I’m not sure about. Oh, oh, but the next chapter is my favorite of this mini-arc!
- Chapter 28: Island of Messenger (part ten)
- Chapter 29: Island of Messenger (part eleven)
- Chapter 30: Jousting Tournament (part one)
- Chapter 31: Jousting Tournament (part two)It’s the calm before storm. I hope the action parts are understandable. Enjoy the chapter!
- Chapter 32: Jousting Tournament (part three)
- Chapter 33: Jousting Tournament (part four)
- Chapter 34: Jousting Tournament (part five)
- Chapter 35: Burial Chamber of Angels (part one)
- Chapter 36: Burial Chamber of Angels (part two)
- Chapter 37: Burial Chamber of Angels (part three)
- Chapter 38: Burial Chamber of Angels (part four)
- Chapter 39: Burial Chamber of Angels (part five)