Alternative Names: 강남 큰손 이야기
Genres: Action, Drama
This is the story of a poor young man whose poverty even shreds apart their family willing to climb his way through society and into the top. A very realistic novel that moves away from fantasy and sci-fi and focuses solely on the issues of society and life.
- Chapter 1: Chapter 1. ProloguePark, a financial journalist, was instructed by his editorial director to cover a big player from Gangnam District (“Gangnam”). Park, however, was not sure how to do it. A big player from Gangnam wouldn’t even consider meeting a journalist like Park. Moreover, Park was also not sure where to find a big player or how to contact that person.
- Chapter 2: Chapter 2: An Encounter At The Fishing Site (1)It was early autumn with Cosmos flowers in full bloom, shaken by the wind along the asphalt-paved mountain path. An old shabby sedan struggled up the hill, carrying two young men. Its muffler was probably broken because it made an odd sound. The paint on its rear plastic bumper was flaked off.
- Chapter 3: Chapter 3: An Encounter At The Fishing Site (2)After having a chicken leg and wings, Gun-Ho Goo asked Jong-Suk Park.
- Chapter 4: Chapter 4. An Encounter At The Fishing Site (3)Gun-Ho got up around 10 in the morning. He has been really lazy since he didn’t go to work.
- Chapter 5: Chapter 5. Got A Job (1)Does fate exist?
- Chapter 6: Chapter 6. Got A Job (2)Receiving a phone call from a Capital representative was a real downer. They never forgot to call to demand the interest overdue.
- Chapter 7: Chapter 7. Got A Job (3)It was Saturday. Gun-Ho vacated his room from OneRoomTel and loaded up his car with his belonging.
- Chapter 8: Chapter 8. Master Park, A Fortune Teller From Gangnam (1)Gun-Ho’s desperate and distressed life as a factory worker made him want to consult the fortune teller about his life, whom his aunt mentioned.
- Chapter 9: Chapter 9. Master Park, A Fortune Teller From Gangnam (2)It was Gun-Ho’s first visit to a philosophy hall in an office-tel. He had been in a fortune-reading café and tarot-reading place around an educational institute area, for fun. Those places didn’t charge much, around 5,000 won or 10,000 won.
- Chapter 10: Chapter 10. Master Park, A Fortune Teller From Gangnam (3)Gun-Ho went back to reality. Visiting the famous philosophy hall in Gangnam seemed like a dream.
- Chapter 11: Chapter 11. Chairman Lee, Cheongdam Town Building Owner (1)The phone had rung for a while before someone answered the phone.
- Chapter 12: Chapter 12. Chairman Lee, Cheongdam Town Building Owner (2)Chairman Lee let the fishing line sit in the water and relaxed while listening to music. Since he was an old man, Gun-Ho expected him to listen to trot, but surprisingly he was listening to classical music. He was a chairman of a paper production company, and he also owned several buildings in Cheongdam; Gun-Ho wanted to get to know him more. Nah, Gun-Ho wanted to flatter him. However, Chairman Lee didn’t give him a chance to talk to him more and focused on fishing; Gun-Ho couldn’t initiate a conversation from that point.
- Chapter 13: Chapter 13. Chairman Lee, Cheongdam Town Building Owner (3)While Chairman Lee continued talking, Manager Gweon stood up, poured water into a paper cup, and handed it to Chairman Lee.
- Chapter 14: Chapter 14. Chairman Lee, Cheongdam Town Building Owner (4)Won-Chul, Gun-Ho’s high school classmate, sent him the wedding invitation through KaTalk. Gun-Ho received a call about it last time; this time, Won-Chul sent the official wedding invitation.
- Chapter 15: Chapter 15. Gun-Ho Goo Started Studying Accounting (1)Gun-Ho changed his mind.
- Chapter 16: Chapter 16. Gun-Ho Goo Started Studying Accounting (2)Looking at the reflection of the fishing rod on the water surface, Chairman Lee said, “Balance sheet was created by slaves during the Roman Empire.”
- Chapter 17: Chapter 17. Getting A Job In Bookkeeping (1)Gun-Ho’s parents are living in Juan Town, Incheon. Gun-Ho used to work in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province and then Pocheon, and now he is working in Yangju.
- Chapter 18: Chapter 18. Getting A Job In Bookkeeping (2)The interviewer, looking through the application files said, “After I reviewed your applications, I had to invite you all for an interview to meet with you in person; your applications stood out to us. As you already have noticed, this area is hard to reach via public transit. So we expected an employee to have his or her own car. Do you all have a car?”
- Chapter 19: Chapter 19. Getting A Job In Bookkeeping (3)There was a job posting site called WorkNet operated by the Department of Labor. Many people looked for a job on this site, so there were always lots of applicants for the job posted here. Gun-Ho had been watching the job postings closely for a bookkeeper position, but he hadn’t seen anything good yet.
- Chapter 20: Chapter 20. Factory Worker Working As A Bookkeeper (1)Gun-Ho’s life working in a gas delivery company started.
- Chapter 21: Chapter 21. Factory Worker Working As A Bookkeeper (2)Gun-Ho came back to the office without mailing the certification of contents.
- Chapter 22: Chapter 22. Factory Worker Working As A Bookkeeper (3)Gun-Ho was lost in thought looking at the WorkNet website.
- Chapter 23: Chapter 23. Factory Worker Working As A Bookkeeper (4)“I wonder what kind of company this is.”
- Chapter 24: Chapter 24. Moving to Asan, Chungnam (1)Gun-Ho came back to Yangju and went back to his work at Bangil Gas again.
- Chapter 25: Chapter 25. Moving to Asan, Chungnam (2)Gun-Ho handed over his job to the next person who would carry out his duties. The new bookkeeper was a woman who was in her 40s. The owner considered working with his wife to save money, however, he eventually decided to hire someone else. He asked Gun-Ho to post the job advertisement on a newspaper classified section.
- Chapter 26: Chapter 26. Moving to Asan, Chungnam (3)The president looked at the manager and said, “Manager Kim, can we have some tea?”
- Chapter 27: Chapter 27. B2B Electronic Payment (1)The next day, Gun-Ho started his new job in the accounting team, sitting at his new desk.
- Chapter 28: Chapter 28. B2B Electronic Payment (2)It had been two months since Gun-Ho joined the YS Tech.
- Chapter 29: Chapter 29. B2B Electronic Payment (3)An individual uses an OTP (One Time Password) card to generate a single-use password in transferring funds through a bank. An incorporated business uses a battery-powered device, TIME OTP instead, for the same purpose.
- Chapter 30: Chapter 30. B2B Electronic Payment (4)Ten days had passed since Gun-Ho handled the work by himself in the accounting team.
- Chapter 31: Chapter 31. B2B Electronic Payment (5)Gun-Ho withdrew 1,000,000 won from the ATM inside the hospital.
- Chapter 32: Chapter 32. Seed Money Soaked With Tears (1)While gazing at the fishing float on the water, Chairman Lee said, “Don’t underestimate construction wastes because they seem useless. There is someone who made big money out of it.”
- Chapter 33: Chapter 33. Seed Money Soaked With Tears (2)Morning came, and Gun-Ho found himself lying down on his bed wearing the same clothes he had worn yesterday.
- Chapter 34: Seed Money Soaked With Tears (3)Gun-Ho invested 500 million won in the InsunENT stock out of the B2B payment of 515 million received from Mulpasaneop Corp. by the company. This was obviously an illegal act. Gun-Ho was suffering severe financial difficulties, and it was an act of deviation driven by his deep despair.
- Chapter 35: Seed Money Soaked With Tears (4)Gun-Ho deposited 515 million won in the company’s bank account, which he borrowed earlier.
- Chapter 36: Seed Money Soaked With Tears (5)The president approached Gun-Ho who was kneeling on the floor. He bent and pinched Gun-Ho’s cheek with his thumb and index finger and wagged it.
- Chapter 37: Preparation for Starting a New Business (1)Gun-Ho was naturally not very extroverted.
- Chapter 38: Preparation for Starting a New Business (2)Suk-Ho’s friend was an extremely obese person with a beard and all tangled hair—he looked more like an artist than a businessman running a bar.
- Chapter 39: Preparation for Starting a New Business (3)The realtor was enthusiastic in making a sales pitch for the bar.
- Chapter 40: Open a Restaurant in Noryangjin (1)Gun-Ho finally decided to open a Vietnamese noodle soup restaurant in Noryangjin; he wanted to serve cheap and delicious pho.