Alternative Names: N/A
“But he is a good man,” she argued to see his eyes narrow at her words.
“And I could be a bad man,” he warned, “Until you’re under my wing, I expect you to behave and listen to what I say. Do not let any man kiss you, Katherine. We don’t want you falling into wrong hands like before so play along.”
“I’m not yours to listen,” she blurted out and felt her face flush with embarrassment for the second time in the evening, “I mean you can’t-”
“So disobedient,” he murmured before his hand moved from her waist to her back pulling her close to him and he whispered,
“Would you want to be mine?”
A dark time when the shadowed creatures descended the peaceful human lands, making their existence known slowly. The time when empires were ruled by the human’s conspiracy, betrayal, and hate but unaware that they were just mere puppets. The actual puppeteers behind the scenes were the shadowed creatures, having the power to crush anything in their way.
What happens when a little human girl catches the eye of one of the pureblooded Lord? Will she survive the political affairs between the lands when there is a handsome Lord involved and not to forget the ghost that’s followed her back home.
Author’s note: There’s volume 4 of the series which has been continued in the book: Death of the Ghost
You can support the author here to help her in turning to a full-time author: ko-fi.com/ash_knight17
- Chapter 1: Night- Part 1Year 1834
- Chapter 2: Night- Part 2Hearing this, the man cocked his head sidewards.
- Chapter 3: The beginning- Part 1Katie sat in front of her parents’ grave while the priest prayed for all the souls to rest in peace. By the order of the Valerian Lord, all the bodies had been taken to Valeria and had been given a proper burial in the public cemetery in the morning. Names were carved on the tombstones using the help of the high priest who was disguised white witches, having the ability to find names of the deceased bodies.
- Chapter 4: The beginning- Part 2In the meantime, Alexander caught up with the creature and cornered it at a cave. The half-vampire bared its teeth towards him and then at the girl. Katie trembled in fear at the sight of its teeth.
- Chapter 5: Blending- Part 1Katie sat in the wide bathtub as bubbles surrounded her. The water was warm and it soothed the little girl. Sylvia had assigned a human maid named Daisy to Katie, who was in her mid-forties so that she could take care of the little things. Katie’s cheeks turned pink as the woman wrapped a towel around her naked self when she stepped out of the tub. She wasn’t used to such treatment from strangers and it was uncomfortable. She had protested to Sylvia that she didn’t need help but her new friend had insisted.
- Chapter 6: Blending- Part 2She liked this person, Katie decided in her mind, seeing Sylvia pick a glass of water and place it on her side. Sylvia and Elliot were nice to her and hadn’t been rude by labeling her as human. They were kind and had saved her from the creatures when they were on their way to the palace. She peeked towards the end of the table where Alexander sat talking to an old man. He hadn’t spoken to her as much as Sylvia and Elliot had but he had saved her. She looked at him for several passing seconds until he looked at her making her drop her gaze.
- Chapter 7: The gathering- Part 1When Elliot went to wake up Katie for breakfast he was shocked to find the bed empty. He searched the entire room but there was no trace of the girl.
- Chapter 8: The gathering- Part 2In the mansion’s kitchen, Katie sat on the stool with a plate on her lap that had freshly baked bread in it. She tore the bread into small pieces before putting it in her mouth. She had been scared to go out after what had happened last night at the main hall and therefore she insisted on staying in the kitchen. The kitchen was busy as they were preparing for the gathering that was going to be held in the evening. It was filled with the clink of utensils, men, and women shouting to get things done quickly while a few of them were seen laughing and talking to each other.
- Chapter 9: Game of chess- Part 1Three weeks had passed since the day of gathering in the mansion; Katie gradually got adjusted to the new environment. She was familiar with a few of the servants who were extremely kind to her while there were others who didn’t bother to even look at her. But that was not what she had to beware of – it was the ones who hid their hate behind their smiling faces.
- Chapter 10: Game of Chess- Part 2Expected, Alexander thought. He had taken a seat at the corner instead of sitting where the human Lord sat now. Moving his head like an owl left to right and right to left wasn’t his idea of viewing.
- Chapter 11: Retaliation- Part 1With the end of the rainy season, most of the elite vampires and humans had left the Valerian mansion when Lord Alexander had left for the Council leaving Lady Magdalene, Giselle and a man the only guests in the mansion. With the commotion they had created, people who worked in the mansion came out to witness the scene in the main hall, standing there quietly as they looked at the upper class vampires accuse the human. The servants who worked for the Lords and higher class people were taught to not interfere with the elites of the society, especially not the vampires. They had enough power to throw the servants with misbehavior in the their personal dungeon or to be sold to another house which could be even worse in the market as there was a possibility of getting the worst master than the previous one.
- Chapter 12: Retaliation- Part 2Alexander had just reached the mansion with Elliot from the Council and was on the way to his room when he decided to check on the little human only to find the room empty, which made him suspicious. He couldn’t feel her presence in the room; it was as though she hadn’t slept here. When he stepped out of her room, his ear picked up the sound of the breaking of glass and went to check it out to only find the little girl there. His eyes were quick to scan her as he saw the condition she was in, but what made his blood boil in anger was the ugly bruise that had formed on her fragile skin.
- Chapter 13: Time- Part 1The following day in the capital, Giselle was executed in front of the Valerian crowd while Lady Magdalene lost her hands. Nobody knew what happened to the other two vampires as they weren’t seen after what happened in the chamber. A vampire couldn’t regain or regenerate limbs and it was an absolute punishment, a remainder not to go against the Lord of Valeria. There were murmurs in the crowd as the punishment took place. Word had passed from one person to another about what had occurred in the castle and they were now curious. Curious if their Lord had chosen the human instead of a highly classed pure blooded vampire woman.
- Chapter 14: Time- Part 2“I’m not sure if we share the same facts so if you could brief me about it,” Alexander said coolly looking at the men who were seated in front of him.
- Chapter 15: Winter’s Celebration- Part 1Year 1847
- Chapter 16: Winter’s celebration- Part 2In the carriage, Katie looked at her reflection to make sure she looked presentable. Her hand reached for the chain that was around her neck and made sure the pendant was tucked in safely. Her brown eyes that were filled with anxiousness stared back at her and she moistened her lips as the carriage rode towards the bridge. The still river was situated on either side of the bridge, turning to a colour of dark sapphire due to the setting sun.
- Chapter 17: Black & White- Part 1Katherine stood next to Alexander with one circle of a crowd that had formed in the main hall. Apart from them, there were two men and three women of the high-class society.
- Chapter 18: Black & White- Part 2She was taken in by surprise when he had asked her to dance with him and by the time she had recovered from it they were at the center of the dance floor. Unlike most of the ladies in the room she had never been to a dance etiquette not because she didn’t want to. She never found the time and money for it. Dance etiquette was held for the elite women and she wasn’t one.
- Chapter 19: Homeless- Part 1Alexander was awake when the coachman came to relay the message Elliot had sent to him.
- Chapter 20: Homeless- Part 2Alexander walked towards his room but stopped at the door that was before his room. He could hear her heartbeat behind the door.
- Chapter 21: Moon signs- Part 1When Daisy was asked by the Valerian Lord to guide Katie with the mansions work as she would officially start working from the next day, the elderly woman was taken a back for a spare second.
- Chapter 22: Moon signs- Part 2The Lord of Valeria hadn’t spoken much after she had turned to a maid. But then she didn’t get to see him much except for the mornings which sometimes was rare too.
- Chapter 23: Lingering Feelings- Part 1Katie felt the hair on her nape stand when she felt the heat Alexander was emitting as he stood right behind her. It was the proximity he was standing near her that made her nervous.
- Chapter 24: Lingering feelings- Part 2Taking the seat next to Sylvia she saw Mr. Tanner whom she had met before sitting in front of her with an elderly woman.
- Chapter 25: Suitors- Part 1Willing her hammering heart Katherine was about to reply when the carriage suddenly jolted forward and stopped with a thud sound, resulting in her falling on the Valerian Lord.
- Chapter 26: Suitors- Part 2Tired, Alexander had fallen asleep when he had got to bed that night. Hearing someone in his room, he opened his eyes to see Katie standing with a pillow in her arms.
- Chapter 27: Charm stones- Part 1Days passed by since Katie saw Alexander kiss another woman and she had tried avoiding any thoughts of him.
- Chapter 28: Charm stone- Part 2She hadn’t expected to see Lord Alexander here yet here he was while she trying to avoid any thoughts of him. His dark maroon eyes shifted his gaze from the man to her.
- Chapter 29: Unwanted guest- Part 1Katie puffed the cushions with her hands and placed it back once she was done. Removing the withered flowers from the vase she changed the water and placed fresh ones that she had picked herself from the garden.
- Chapter 30: Unwanted guest- Part 2
- Chapter 31: Unwanted guest- Part 3
- Chapter 32: Hallow- Part 1
- Chapter 33: Hallow- Part 2
- Chapter 34: Hallow- Part 3
- Chapter 35: House of dolls- Part 1
- Chapter 36: House of dolls- Part 2
- Chapter 37: The maker- Part 1
- Chapter 38: The maker- Part 2
- Chapter 39: The maker- Part 3
- Chapter 40: The fall- Part 1